What Parents Want to Know about an Educational ConsultantBOOTCAMP CONSULTING UNCOOPERATIVE TEEN CRISIS SIGNS DIY INTERNET
1. What is an Educational Consultant or Therapeutic Placement Consultant?
These terms are interchangeable. An Educational Consultant or Therapeutic Placement Consultant is a confidential advisor and resource person for families wanting choices or needing more support on topics that impact life success including academics, social, emotional, behavioral and vocational supports.
2. What are your fees and how are you compensated?
Our fees are determined by the level of service. Morgan Guidance offers several levels of service ranging from Hourly Coaching all the way to a Comprehensive Consultation process.
We are hired and compensated directly by a family in the same manner as one might engage with their attorney, financial advisor or other consulting and service providing professionals.
Ethics of our professional organization, the Independent Educational Consultant’s Association, strictly prohibits our members from receiving referral fees or payments for enrollment from any school or program.
3. How is an Educational Consultant helpful to parents?
- Our advisors work directly for your family when you want answers. Since we are independent of any school or program, you will receive an objective perspective and highly professional advising.
- We will help you better understand your child’s needs and become aware of all the available options.
- We function as a central planning hub or the nucleus of guidance for parents.
- Our consultants work with you and any professionals on your team in a highly collaborative manner.
- Together we decide on specialized resources, the right school, or the best possible treatment setting for your specific needs. The final decision is always up to you.
- When needing a program, we demystify the treatment process and walk you through it step by step.
- Our process is relational and covers the span of many months – even years if needed.
4. Is an Educational Consultant or Therapeutic Consultant the same as a School Guidance Counselor or therapist?
Our planning and advising is distinct from the role of a therapist and other family-serving professionals. Our services are adjunct to the work of clinical providers. We add support and care coordination. We draw on the skills of several professions including educators and mental health professionals; however, our consulting is not the same as providing therapy.
As experts on schools and programs, we focus on assessing need and creating a plan with detailed and individualized recommendations. We then provide advocacy and support for our clients while the plan is in place. When indicated or requested, we recommend appropriate psychological assessments and mental health care providers.
We frequently work with parents or guardians of a teen or young adult who resists help for whatever reason. We plan with you and help with the process of engaging a resistant teen or young adult.
It’s normal to feel uncertain about treatment. Morgan Guidance does not recommend the stereotypical Mental Institution or punitive programs such as the Bootcamp or Brat Camp model. Contact us to learn about the modern, high quality programs we do recommend.
7. What should I expect for the first meeting?
The first meeting is typically with the adults and lasts approximately two hours. We meet in person, via Skype, or over the phone. We will hear about your current situation and listen as you share a complete history of your son or daughter. When appropriate or indicated the young person may be included.
It is appropriate to call Morgan Guidance any time you have a question or concern, large or small, about your child’s emotional well-being and with questions about academics or behaviors. Your question does not have to be related to a crisis. The sooner you call with questions the more quickly you can identify creative solutions.
If you are in a crisis such as school problems, legal charges, Baker Act, psychiatric hospitalization, isolation, self harm, detox unit, drug abuse, or worsening behaviors of any type, we are prepared to expedite our process with families and young people.
Websites can be misleading. Our Educational Consultant spends 20% of her time on the road traveling all over the nation visiting campuses in person. Elaine Morgan has evaluated and collected data on over 300 schools and programs. We know schools and programs inside and out and beyond what a website tells you. We ensure your loved one is custom matched with the best possible option for their unique needs. When a treatment program, wilderness program, therapeutic school, or Young Adult program is needed, a DIY internet search or a simple referral from a pediatrician or therapist doesn’t come close to our expertise and multi-phase extended process. Parents trust Morgan Guidance to give them thorough information so they can feel confident as they select a setting where the student or young adult can be safe, thrive, and grow to reach their potential.
11. We feel like we have tried everything. Now what?
When parents have questions, want choices or need more support for a son or daughter of any age, it is our privilege to work with you. You may be as involved as you would like to be. In the end, any school or program decision is always up to the family.